Wednesday, September 25, 2013

It's Been Awhile

After Nation's I took some time off from writing on here.  The event as far as a participant went alright.  I had a great bike, not so good swim and run.  The training leading up to it was not up to par of where it should have been I guess.  It will go up as alright experience.  The event as far as spectator was horrible.  For the first time this year the race was close enough to home that my wife and son were able to come down  and see me finish, as well as my dad being in town from Kansas for the finish line support.  All this was awesome however after wading around the chaos for over an hour my family finally found me about 3 minutes after I crossed the finish line due to the fact that non of the volunteers and staff there could answer the simple question of "how do we get to the finish line".  It was horribly set up and way to crowded to handle.  With as many participants as they had they should have expected it.  Not to mention all of downtown DC was shut down because of it.  It was so hectic cyclists and runners constantly had to dodge spectators as they crossed the roads that we were running and biking on.  At some points it was a little to dangerous to be allowed.

After that I went up to Philly and "Rocked" my first half marathon.  It was slower than I anticipated, or hoped it would be but it was an awesome event.  Great Expo, Great staff, and Great post race accommodations, not to mention the location was fabulous.  The course was rolling but nothing to crazy to climb.  I ran my first 8 miles to game plan and gassed a little bit between 8 and 11.  After that the sound of the crowd just kind of pushes you through the finish line.  I will shave time off for my next distance run for sure with better training for the distances but overall I was really happy with the event and the weekend in Philly.  Plus the cheesesteak was worth the drive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment